Saturday, March 27, 2010

Currently Reading...


What a week of reading for me. I finished Mary, Called Magdalene, read Tempted by P.C. and Kristin Cast in a day and re-read The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares- just because I could. (Before you criticize my personal reading taste, re-read my previous posts.) Now it's on to another banned book (finally!)- Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman.

So far, I have to say I'm pretty excited about this book. For anyone who knows me, I'm a somewhat poetic person myself and I love reading others' work, especially the classic poets. I love Emily Dickinson and e.e. cummings (Especially e.e), and though I never really got the chance to look at Walt Whitman's work, I am taking it now. The first few poems I've read are excellent, eloquently describing life and feelings we may all be familiar with in a fresh and lovely way.

Of course, Whitman came with his own fair share of controversy. When the book was first published in 1855, it was seen as an obscene work and banned in many parts of America for his sexual imagery- both hetero- and homosexual. (Ironically, Whitman had used America as his inspiration.) In fact, it wasn't until the 1860's that he gained popularity stateside. Europe, however, welcomed the book more easily. Despite its rocky history, however, today it is a classic. And I hope I like it as much as I want to. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment