Wednesday, March 17, 2010

To Start...

...I should let you guys know what I'm reading now, shouldn't I?

So, I really didn't notice this until today, but the book I'm reading somewhat ties into Women's History Month. After all, Mary Magdalene was a woman in history, and the only woman truly close to the inner circle of Jesus Christ, the disciples. Also, the way Margaret George writes suggests that she is a woman beyond her time- she learns how to read despite her parents' wishes, she speaks her mind and is a strong, intelligent young woman with a tireless faith in God. Of course, people still debate over whether she was a prostitute, or a church leader, or this or that, but above all she is a woman with clear faults, as I can tell from my reading so far. In her childhood she happened to pick up an ivory idol of a pagan god, the spirit of which later apparently possessed her when she failed to dispose of it according to her religion's Law. Other spirits soon grab hold of her, forcing her to obey their command, and... that's about as far as I've gotten. It's slow-going at first, but compelling enough to keep me occupied for the rest of the month, and then it's back to all my lovely challenged and banned books so I can actually get something onto this blog. :)
So, Reading Now: Mary, Called Magdalene by Margaret George.


No comments:

Post a Comment