Monday, May 10, 2010

Library Expedition #2

So, I very narrowly avoided catastrophe earlier this afternoon on my second official visit to the library. I made my way to the Young Adult section without much expectation, and found a score of books on the list I have yet to read through. At least ten books, I kid you not. Needless to say, I wanted to take them all out, but that was impossible- I only have a little messenger bag! So I settled for The Drowning of Stephan Jones by Bette Greene, The Diary of Anne Frank: The Definitive Edition, and The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. Then, not even fifteen minutes after getting my receipt for these books, I found Nineteen Minutes and My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult- both banned books- and a book not on the list, The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger. (Don't judge, I just saw the movie and liked it.) Needless to say, I became incredibly indecisive. Go back up there and get another receipt, or wait until I return City of Light by Lauren Belfer (almost halfway through)? Decisions, decisions. The insatiable bookworm in me wanted badly to go up there NOW, especially after having seen a woman march up to the counter with at least six hardcovers in her arms. However, I weighed the pros and cons. Lots to carry... walking home... would I be able to finish them all before June 1? Hmm. Thankfully, my mother's voice came floating back to me, saying, "You have enough books... finish the ones you have now." She always was more sensible. Usually.

I ended up walking out of the library before I could give in to weakness. But I vow to take out those books once I return City of Light at the end of the week. It's happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment