Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Now Reading...


Shopping in bargain stores rocks. Really. Just picked up Just Listen by Sarah Dessen today at Marshalls for six bucks and planning to read it ASAP. If you didn't know, it's one of the books on the lengthy list of banned ones I plan to complete soon. There are still about a hundred of them left, but at least I'll be kept entertained for quite a while. :)

First, though, I have to finish The Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem. I first read him in freshman year of high school, when I picked up another of his novels, Motherless Brooklyn, and finished it basically in one gulp. The wordplay and character development in that book was fantastic, and I opened up this one looking for some of the same. It's not much in the same vein- it's a third-person narrator in place of first-person, and it takes place in somewhat of a different time period, when gentrification was just beginning to touch the rough edges of Gowanus, Brooklyn- but it's just as entertaining to read. Hope it stays strong all the way through- being somewhat familiar with Lethem's writing, I'd say it likely will.
New reviews coming shortly! Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment